Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hair Loss 101

When I write for this blog, it is often because I am inspired by real life events. Today, I am sitting in the hair salon, trying not to eavesdrop on a conversation that is taking place near me!
A client entered the shop. She seems to be new, and gives the owner a detailed account of her problem with her hair loss. Even if I could not hear her words, my eyes tell me what the problem is ( or at least what a significant part of it is). Client X wants to see if she can buy something to "make her hair grow". I get asked this same question EVERY DAY that I am in the office seeing patients.
What client X has in common with my patients , 9 times out of 10, is a pattern of hair care that is detrimental to keeping ones hair on ones head. First, the home permanent. Client X buys something from the beauty supply shop and puts it on. Even if she has advanced degrees in cosmetology, this is not a good idea once you are losing your hair. Stop. Walk away from the perm, even if it is labeled Kiddie Perm Safe For Newborns! It isnt.
Second, Client X seems to enjoy lighter, blonder, bleached hair. When you remove color from your hair you can count on it being weaker and more susceptible to breakage. Stop. Let Tina Turner have the blonde and you go back to being brown, black or some combination of the two.
There is some good, basic information about the common causes of hair loss in all women. I refer you to the American Hairloss Council, via the following link.
www.ahlc.org

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog. Just wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post. The information that you have provided is very helpful. Waiting for some information on Hair Replacement for Men

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I liked your story. Hair play a vital role to flatter any ones face, your look is not complete unless your hair are done. Hair loss is very common problem faced by many peoples. Wig is good option for that but I preferred hair transplant. I had Hair Transplant at ADHI India and now I got complete new look which surely bring smile on my face

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to see the best technologies over the planet now to get back of our hair with this beautiful technique like Hair Transplantation Surgery in Washington DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all thanks to sharing this informational blog. It is not time to depend on natural and feel we can't change the natural look. Today science is growing very fast and possible to change our look, but we have to try and trust. Looksstudio Hair Transplant in Pune is one of the best hair transplant clinic in India. They are proficient in hair replacement and hair restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. saƧ ekimi istanbul

    ReplyDelete